About the Intergovernmental Commission
The main goal of the Intergovernmental Russian-Ugandan Commission on Economic, Scientific and Technical Cooperation is to strengthen relations between the two countries, as well as further develop their economic, scientific and technical cooperation.
The Intergovernmental Commission was established in accordance with the Resolution of the Government of the Russian Federation dated August 21, 2014 No. 1601-r "On the signing of the Agreement between the Government of the Russian Federation and the Government of the Republic of Uganda on the establishment of the Intergovernmental Russian-Uganda Commission on Economic and Scientific and Technical Cooperation". The co-chairmen of the Commission are Deputy Minister of Digital Development, Communications and Mass Media of the Russian Federation Aleksey Konstantinovich Volin and State Minister for Foreign Affairs (International Affairs) of the Republic of Uganda Henry Oryem Okello. The first meeting of the Intergovernmental Comimsion was held in Kampala on October 11-13, 2016.
The Intergovernmental Commission has several functions:
- Defining the major areas of Russian-Ugandan economic, scientific and technical cooperation;
- Assisting organizations and business circles of Russia and Uganda to develop and strengthen economic, scientific and technical cooperation;
- Boosting information exchange between Russia and Uganda on economic, scientific and technical cooperation;
- Analyzing and evaluating the state of the implementation of the decisions made at the Commission’s meetings;
- Defining other areas of economic, scientific and technical cooperation.
The Commission faces the following objectives:
- Reviewing the state of trade, economic, scientific and technical cooperation issues in accordance with all agreements signed in these areas, monitoring their compliance, and working out necessary measures for their implementation;
- Analyzing prospects for further development of economic, trade, scientific and technical cooperation and presenting relevant proposals;
- Providing assistance to any interested organizations, firms and business circles in order to diversify cooperation and strengthen economic, trade, scientific and technical ties;
- Promoting information exchange on issues that may be subjects of mutual cooperation in trade, economic, scientific and technical areas;
- Preparing proposals on development of cooperation between organizations from both countries to increase mutual trade turnover